Saturday, February 7, 2009

If I had the world to give I'd give it all to you. . .

My dear daughter is back from 5 months in France as an exchange student, and I know it's hard for her to be missing her family and friends there.  I am delighted, contented, full of wonder at her growth and as always awed by her great goodness of heart.  In a few months she will be off to college, and I intend to cherish these last few months with her.  And I also feel an odd sense of sadness because I can't give her what she wants most, which is to have the life she loved in France and also have her life here.  I know, and she knew, it would be like this.  There are many things I would love to give my dear and deserving daughter, but I can't give her France.  

2 comments:

phryGIAN said...

Thank you
Donna

Psychedelicat said...

you give her all your love and she FEELS it!
plus, she knows - we all do - that, even if she could go back, now that she knows all the sadness and pain you have to go through when you get back, she would not ever choose not to go!
And if that's really the life she wants for herself, she'll have plenty of time to have it!
And to speak is a person that ended up deciding she'll be traveling for the next like 10 years, so she won't have to choose where to settle down!

Love you!