Saturday, August 1, 2009

More on the health care debate, thanks to my sister as told to her by Fox News

This is the final post in the debate between my sister and me on health care, as I wrote about a few days ago:

"No, I never received any public assistance. I applied but was turned down. No problem if I was an illegal! So I am paying everything out of pocket. [My husband's] union cancelled all our insurance the moment he died. [My son] was right in the middle of a root canal the day [his dad] died and the union stopped paying. So that was another grand I had to pay. We definitely have to change our health system! But Government run health care is not the answer! I don't want the government to tell me what doctor I will see and what treatment they feel is best. Ask [our cousin] Debbie about the health care she received in Europe. The military wouldn't treat her cancer and she had to be treated by 'European Government run health care'. She is still suffering from the mistakes they made and not having the treatment she needed because she wasn't 'important enough'. There are a lot more people trying to get into the U.S. for health care then people leaving to get health care elsewhere."

The remarkable thing about this post is that she's saying that the military, for whom my cousin (a computer programmer) works as a contractor, would not pay for cancer treatment, yet the "European Government run health care" system did. (I hate to sound like an elitist over-educated liberal, but I feel compelled to inform her, if by chance she reads this blog, which I doubt, that Europe, like Africa, is actually made up of separate countries; each with their own health care system). Apparently this issue of American military contract workers not getting treatment is a big problem. Who insures them? Not the U.S. military or another government run health care system, but private insurers, like AIG, contracted by the military. I'm posting a link to an L.A. Times article about this issue. The article focuses on contractors with injuries sustained in war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan; how much more likely is it that a non-combat employee, like my cousin, would be denied coverage? I guess my cousin wasn't "important enough" to the private insurer who denied her care.

No comments: